Friday, February 5, 2016

The Matterhorn in Zermatt – Switzerland/Italy

The most famous peak in the Alps, the Matterhorn in Zermatt, stands 4,478 meters high. Mountaineers flock to this town to conquer this technically difficult peak, and Zermatt also offers skiing and beautiful views. There are also non-skiing activities, good restaurants and lots of energetic nightlife for visitors to enjoy.

The Matterhorn peak is in between Switzerland and Italy. One of its sides faces Switzerland and the other faces Italy, and the name is derived from the three common languages. The German name Matterhorn derives from the words for "meadow" and "peak." The Italian name (Cervino) and French (Cervin) likely originated with the Latin word for forest, silva, though some believe it comes from the Italian and French words for “deer.

If you like sightseeing, exploring, or even climbing in a professional matter, The Matterhorn is an awesome option for such activities, however do it with extremely caution since more than 500 people have died while climbing or descending the Matterhorn—an average of three to four per year.


And for those who love chocolate here is an awesome fact about The Matterhorn: The logo of the famous chocolate Toblerone is actually The Matterhorn peak, which symbolizes power and the incredible places Switzerland contain.


4 comments:

  1. I've never been outside the country but if I had to choose a place to go to. I would want to go to those mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing, I've never seen mountains before. This seems like a really awesome place to visit! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Swiss alps are amazing; I've actually been to the Matterhorn and the city is nice but extremely expensive. I went for a day and there wasn't enough snow because of the global warming so no one could go skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Swiss Alps seem very cool! I hope I can visit one day. I love snow so I'd want to try to ski there. I also love chocolate and know that Switzerland is famous for their chocolate!

    ReplyDelete